SATURDAY 29TH JUNE 2019 – Boo Hewerdine
As a recording artist, Boo’s first tentative steps came with the band, The Great Divide before the formation of his much-loved eighties group The Bible and a career that subsequently bloomed such that he is now in constant demand as a musician, songwriter, producer, teacher and live concert performer.
Brit Award winning, former Fairground Attraction singer (and Scottish national treasure) Eddi Reader (MBE) is the perhaps the artist Boo Hewerdine is most regularly associated with, as a songwriter, musician and producer. Together they enjoyed international success with the (Hewerdine written) hit single ‘Patience of Angels’ in 1995 and Boo also produced Reader’s ‘Sings the Songs of Robert Burns’ in 2003, an album now viewed as a folk classic.
Boo Hewerdine continues to enjoy playing live and writing new material with Eddi Reader. In 2017 he released his high acclaimed first studio titled ‘Swimming in Mercury’’ – astonishingly his first in 8 years. Scottish songwriter Findlay Napier employed Boo to work on his 2017 recording based on life stories of real Glasgow people and recorded completely live. Boo having collaborated with Findlay on his previous album VIP (Very Interesting Persons) which received rave reviews, including a shortlist for Best Album of the Year in The Telegraph and the two songwriters also tour together.
Put simply Boo Hewerdine is one of the greatest songwriter performers in the business and a unique talent who we are delighted to welcome to Thorganby.
Tickets £14.00 Full / @12.00 concession online from http://www.ticketsource.co.uk/thorganby-folk or by email to Thorganbyfolk@gmail.com
Back by popular demand for a very special, one-off ‘SummerFolk’ concert, and following well deserved critical acclaim for their work which can currently be heard on the BBC production Gentleman Jack.
BBC RADIO 2 FOLK AWARDS 2018 ‘BEST DUO’ NOMINEES
‘Exceptional songwriters’ * * * * * The Guardian
‘I have just listened to your track, Beryl, with tears in my eyes! It’s beautiful and brilliant.’ Maxine Peake
With a personal invite from Billy Bragg to play Glastonbury, sessions on 6 Music and Radio 2, five star reviews and a feature in The Guardian, the songwriting, voice and piano partnership of Belinda O’Hooley and Heidi Tidow is regarded as ‘One of British folk music’s mightiest combinations’ (MOJO).
Belinda and Heidi’s boundless songwriting has been described by The Guardian as ‘exceptional’ and The Independent as ‘defiant, robust, northern, poetical, political folk music for the times we live in.’ From an emotionally charged song about an elephant orphanage in Nairobi, to a joyous celebration of the Leeds cycling champion Beryl Burton, they explore, consider and connect subjects and stories in a distinctive, inventive and memorable way.
Having the originality and skill to invite comparison with the most celebrated harmony duos, from early Simon and Garfunkel to the iconic Kate and Anna McGarrigle, 6 Music’s Tom Robinson says ‘They sing together in the way families do. Normally, you only get that closeness in the voices with family bands like The Coppers or The Watersons.’
Tickets £15.00 online from https://www.wegottickets.com/event/468444 or direct via ThorganbyFolk@gmail.com
With 25 years of unrivaled musical partnership and gathering numerous nominations, awards and critical acclaim along the way, much beloved British artists and singer-songwriters Chris While and Julie Matthews will be celebrating a quarter of a century as one of the best and most enduring duos to come out of this country.
“They light up the room with their amazing energy” James Taylor
Truly gifted human beings” Richard Hawley
Tickets £15 online https://www.wegottickets.com/event/468446 or direct via Thorganbyfolk@gmail.com
- SATURDAY 18TH MAY 2019 – Jackie Oates and Mike Cosgrave ‘The Joy of Living’ tour
- SATURDAY 6TH APRIL 2019 – The Askew Sisters ‘Enclosure’ tour
- FRIDAY 21ST DECEMBER 2018 – O’Hooley & Tidow Winter Folk – Winter Songs & Carols: An alternative celebration of Christmas
- SATURDAY 13TH OCTOBER 2018 – Lady Maisery
- SATURDAY 23TH JUNE 2018 – Louise Jordan “No Petticoats Here’
- SATURDAY 26TH MAY 2018 – Chris While & Julie Matthews in concert
- SATURDAY 28TH APRIL 2018 – Ninebarrow
- SATURDAY 17TH FEBRUARY 2018 – Megson
- FRIDAY 22TH DECEMBER 2017 – O’Hooley & Tidow Winter Folk – Winter Songs & Carols: An alternative celebration of Christmas
- SATURDAY 14TH OCTOBER 2017 – The Rheingans Sisters
- SATURDAY 9TH SEPTEMBER 2017 – Union Jill
- SUNDAY 28TH May 2017 – Ninebarrow
- FRIDAY 23RD DECEMBER 2016 – O’Hooley & Tidow Winter Folk – Winter Songs & Carols: An alternative celebration of Christmas
- 14 OCTOBER 2015 – Bad Apple Theatre present The Carlton Colliers